Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Morning

Wade, James and Clarke: I want you to know how much I miss you today. It was great fun to spend Christmas morning with Mom and Dad and I know you are all living wonderful full lives out in the world, but I missed having you here with us. Pulling candy out of our stockings, eternal surprise that there is and always will be an orange at the toe. Taking turns opening presents, excited to see what everyone got. And last but not least, watching Mom and Dad feign surprise with Oscar worthy abandon, at their gifts to and from one another.

This year, the package was labeled "To Lori, From Jim" AND "To Jim, From Lori". I knew trouble was brewing. I asked who was going to open the present and Dad kept saying, "We will each open the half we bought for the other". Those two! Behold, I think this is one of their best/worst performances ever:



Mom told me a couple of weeks ago, that she had a wild idea to make me a gift this year. She had already given me something as a combined Birthday/Christmas gift, from both of them, so I certainly wasn't expecting her to make something. She said that she had a battle with it and she "wasn't going to let it defeat her". Way to build up suspense!!! I must say, it was BEYOND worth the wait. I am so proud of her work and so touched at the love and thought behind the gift. I have to say, this might be one of the best gifts I've ever received.



No holiday is complete without our special breakfast. This year had a twist with the absence of sausage, but bacon came in to save the day. Yum!



I've been on a flower arranging kick, of late. Couldn't stop myself and went ahead and brought some antique vases with me to, as Dad would say, bring on the Fufu. I would really like to find a flower market, where I can select flowers instead of buying pre-made bouquets at the store. I've been really lucky at Trader Joe's with such a great selection, but now that I'm going crazy with doing this, I want to try some new arrangements.



I hope all of you had a very happy Christmas morning. There is still lots of food to be eaten, so I will be back later today to share more.

No comments: