Monday, December 29, 2008

Lofty Goals

I'm not a NYR. New Year's Resolutioner. I made that up myself. Brilliant, I know. So here's the thing. I've never done it before and I'm not where I want to be, so what the heck can it hurt. Also, to further be self destructive, I will point out that when I make a goal* it generally has the opposite effect. Yeah, another thing I need to change.

Think. Positive. Thoughts. Maybe that should be my mantra this year. Ok, yeah, we're going with that. (Bear with me, this is going to be a somewhat rambling post, I'm thinking out loud here.)

*As opposed to "resolutions", I'm going to work towards "goals". I want to accomplish things, not necessarily change things. Those things that NEED changing will hopefully work themselves out while I am making the effort to learn, grow, and build a better foundation.

Here we go:

1. A PHOTO a DAY.
I've got this nice new camera. I want to branch out and use it for more than just for fun. I'm not 100% ready to do that, so I need more practice. I am going to try to post a photo a day to my flickr account (and here if I can). I've joined a 365 Group on flickr and am going to try their scavenger hunt (which will help with daily subjects). I'm pretty excited about this goal. It's a fun goal and it will be motivating to work towards completing something that I really enjoy.

2. MOVE
No, I'm not jumping again. Though you could say that this whole post is one big emotional/spiritual jump. I don't do "working out". I'm not a gym person, I don't have the discipline to say "I will work out 4 days a week!!!!" I do have the discipline to say, I'm going to take more walks, visit more trails, get up off the couch more. I think Goal #1 dovetails in to this one pretty well.

{Sidebar}

I went to Eno River State Park, yesterday, and found myself a little surprised at how happy it made me to be on a bit of adventure. Climbing these trails, enjoying the weather, the outdoors. I mean, it had me thinking of going camping.....there must have been something in the air. The photos were fun to take, while I was having fun moving. See the pattern?



{/Sidebar}


3. SAVE, Already!
This is a tough one. I did not inherit the saving gene from my parents. I am the definition of "burning a hole in your pocket". But, again, I'm not where I want to be and the only thing that will change that is doing something. So, I am going to save. We're not talking beans and rice here, we're talking baby steps. I'm going to do what I can. If I overextend myself, I am defeating the goal before I even start.

4. Visit, YOU.
I miss my family. All of them. It hurts my OWN feelings that I've never met Maggie and BW. I've never seen where JJ&C live. I want to visit C&C's home. I want to spend time with my Granny, without her having to endure the trip across the country. I want to go back to Portland and enjoy it without a 104 degree fever, and visit Allegra's beautiful home on the coast. I want to make more effort to spend time with the people I love. Here's the thing: this one doesn't dovetail so well with #3. But, I want to make an effort. I want to do WHAT I CAN. You know the saying, "Do Unto Others...".

5. STOP settling.
I am settler. No, I'm wasn't a pioneer or a wagon puller. I settle for the way things are. As much as it hurt to hear, as the truth usually does, I have a bad habit for "taking the easy way." Say it with me "I'm not where I want to be, so...". This one may sound a bit on the general side but if I use it as Mantra B, those baby steps will turn in to grown up steps.

Again, I don't want to over extend myself. I know my limits. Five is a good number. These are strong goals, something I can be proud of, a year from now. And you know what? It is ok to fail, because I am not perfect. It is ok to fail, as long as you get back up and keep trying.

1 comment:

lori said...

BNP,
Thanks for sharing, I know from personal experience that it takes courage to let others know what your goals are because it means "everybody" will be watching..... well that's OK because we're all behind you!
Keep us up-to-date, we'll be be checking and sharing.
Lots of LOVE, Dad